Autor Thema: Matt Ruff: Set This House in Order (7)  (Gelesen 4043 mal)

Offline sandhofer

• Mitglied
    • sandhofer's den
Matt Ruff: Set This House in Order (7)
« am: 01. Mai 2007, 07:23:27 »
Hi,

Write here your questions, ideas, thoughts etc. concerning chapter 7.

Best wishes,

sandhofer

Offline mrs peachum

• Mitglied
Re: Matt Ruff: Set This House in Order (7)
« Antwort #1 am: 10. Mai 2007, 21:12:58 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Badlands_National_Park_Landscape.jpg

I just wanted to have an image, because I have never been to South Dakota, and I thought some of you others might be interested. Andrew's Strata can be seen clearly.

and also: "a rough grassy plain extending towards a line of jagged hills."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Badlands1.jpg

and another image I thought would be fun to see. I haven't finished my comment on book 7 yet, but I thought I would just share these images now anyway.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/SDRAPdino.html

It's not really the same one - no swings, but it still gives an image.

greets

mrs peachum
« Letzte Änderung: 10. Mai 2007, 21:15:04 von mrs peachum »

Offline MesCalinum

• Autor/in
  • Mitglied
  • wolf girl
« Antwort #2 am: 11. Mai 2007, 08:38:19 »
Thank you for the pictures. I imagined the hills very differently. I should've looked up the word "jagged".  ;D

This Book seemed very short to me. I'm glad that Andrew is back in control and Mouse was handling the situation better than I feared.
It was intersting to see what happend to the house in Andrew's mind but also sort of sad. It was also interesting to meet Gideon. Although, I don't know what to think of him yet. He doesn't seem to be an evil character in the classic sense, because he has a very obvious weak side: he is easily scared. But I'm well aware that this fact can make him dangerous in his reactions as well.

And there is a third door which leads into the basement. I am very curious tp know what's down there. *g* Either some souls are hiding down there, or Gideon can create new souls for his purpose, too.
« Letzte Änderung: 11. Mai 2007, 08:40:21 von MesCalinum »

Offline mrs peachum

• Mitglied
« Antwort #3 am: 11. Mai 2007, 21:28:35 »
After ending the first part of the book Equilibrium, now Chaos starts with book 7 which is titled To the Badlands. So already one is aware of things breaking apart and the order of Andrew's house being destroyed. Andrew realizes in the first chapter of this book that he has not been able to keep his house and the society under control. He cannot communicate with the inside and is deeply disoriented. I liked the symbolism with the badlands. It seems that Andrew and Penny have to cross some bad lands that are rough and jagged and barren before they can start healing again. I wonder if Andrew, or perhaps even Aaron will have to start all over again, or if he can pick up where he has returned, in the motel and it will end in a power struggle between him and Gideon? Oh, and there is finally a first mention of Andy's mother. Andrew has a picture of her in his wallet. That does not tell very much yet, but it means she will be at least a part of the story.

Mouse is doing very well I think, handling the situation by making it a group effort. She is consulting her society and recognizes that she really sees them as her allies now. It remains difficult however, because Mouse has to trust such characters as Maledicta who is the absolute opposite of her. On the other side she profits from her daredevil ways, for example when Maledicta crosses the interstate. One interesting thing about Maledicta is that she is obviously an alcoholic, and Penny is not. That is quite hard to imagine, but seems to work that way. I did not know what to make of the scene in the bar with Julie. What was that there for, except to show how stubborn and obnoxious Maledicta is? Maybe we will find out later.

So Mouse travels across the country from Idaho to South Dakota with Xavier and Gideon. She is frightened but determined to help Andrew, which is very brave and very wonderful of her. Gideon is a scary character, even though he is vulnerable. He is very cautious and nervous, but at the same time he wants to take full control of the body. It seems clear that he would not be a good choice as leader of the house, because he is selfish and unpredictable. He thinks he is the true Andy, and later when Andrew goes inside the body we find out that his soul looks most like Andy (the body). What do you others think about that? Are Andrew and Aaron wrongly suppressing the "real Andy" because they do not want to get in trouble? If Gideon really created Xavier he does have powers no other soul besides Aaron has. I have to think about that some more....

What about that scene with the trooper? Strange wasn't it? Why is Gideon so terrified of the police? It still could be that he might have killed the stepfather. Is that the reason? And how does this scene end? What happens to the trooper? Is the fact that Mouse finds the speeding ticket a good sign? I hope Gideon and/or Malefica haven't done anything stupid. The trooper did have his gun out before we were blocked out of the scene. That's interesting, it just occured to me that we, the readers "lost time" in that scene, not very pleasant, is it?

Penny is showing just how clever she is again, by realizing Gideon is alone with no one to help him and then thinking of a strategy to get him to panic and make someone else come out. In the end she is assisted by Aaron who scares Gideon by shortly taking over a hand and communicating in morse code. That is actually pretty funny too, it's like a Steve Martin scene where he pretends not to be in control of all his body parts. Gideon starts getting nervous then and as soon as all the billboards pop up, the other society members come out one by one to claim their needs, and that is really funny again. So Gideon loses it and jumps into the barbed wire. In the end Seferis, the strong protector appears.

I'll have to get to the last chapter of this book later. Time is fleeting...

« Letzte Änderung: 11. Mai 2007, 21:32:25 von mrs peachum »

Offline mrs peachum

• Mitglied
« Antwort #4 am: 12. Mai 2007, 04:30:59 »
Allright, here goes book 7 chapter 21.

Does the dinosaur theme mean something? Is it about going back into "pre-historic" (=pre Andrew) times? He is on his way to Michigan to the place where Andy grew up.....

This is the chapter in which Andrew goes "inside" to find the house badly damaged and the pulpit missing. Communication is practically cut off and the fog around the island is even thicker. The crossing on the ferry to the island had something of the crossing of the river to the underworld where the castouts live. Gideon is the soul that has fallen from favour. Aaron is the creator. I don't know if you intended this Matt, but you do have some pictures in this story that at least remind one of biblical stories, and also of ancient mythology. The theatrical setup of Gideon's checker table is wonderful! I am a very theatrical person myself, meaning that I love theatre and am involved in staging plays a lot, and I would love to stage that one! And in ths setting Gideon drops the bomb that questions Andrews existence. Gideon is trying to cause trouble between Aaron and Andrew so it will make it easier to take over. Sometimes you really forget that this is actually happening inside one person's head, but then we are reminded again by "front door and back door make three doors" that all souls (exept Gideon) have followed Aaron's lead to believe this equation made sense. To suppress the existence of that door. Behind the door under the stairs could be all things Aaron has not told Andrew, things he wanted to keep from him, maybe something like Penny's dark cave? This is scary!

Offline MesCalinum

• Autor/in
  • Mitglied
  • wolf girl
« Antwort #5 am: 12. Mai 2007, 10:35:00 »
He thinks he is the true Andy, and later when Andrew goes inside the body we find out that his soul looks most like Andy (the body). What do you others think about that? Are Andrew and Aaron wrongly suppressing the "real Andy" because they do not want to get in trouble?

I haven't thought about Gideon being the real Andy, yet. I want to know what's in the basement first. I rather think that what's left of the real Andy might be down there. Because if Gideon is the real Andy, and he's a killer, that would not be good for Andrew and the other souls.

That's interesting, it just occured to me that we, the readers "lost time" in that scene, not very pleasant, is it?

That is something we almost always experience in the Penny parts of the story and I enjoy that very much because it makes you feel how scary and confusing this illness must be for a person.

Offline Saltanah

• Mitglied
« Antwort #6 am: 12. Mai 2007, 12:49:45 »
The most interesting part in this book is the third door. The door everybody knows about ("there are three doors") but nobody thinks about. Most probably it is a door to Aarons sub-conscious and Andrew, when investigating the basement is going to find some secrets there, things Aaron can not even think about. It will be very interesting to see, what that is.
Behind the door under the stairs could be all things Aaron has not told Andrew, things he wanted to keep from him, maybe something like Penny's dark cave?
I got the impression, that even Aaron doesn't know about the door. He has to think very hard about, which is the third door and I don't think he's feigning ignorance, which makes me believe that the basement is his sub-conscious.

Penny is indeed making progress in co-operating with the other souls. Good!

Offline Amneris

• Mitglied
« Antwort #7 am: 12. Mai 2007, 17:11:18 »
Thank you for the links! Now I could visualize this coutry side even better.

Oh, and there is finally a first mention of Andy's mother. Andrew has a picture of her in his wallet. That does not tell very much yet, but it means she will be at least a part of the story.

While reading that part I had the same toughts.  ;) And I am curious about what will follow in the course of the story according to her.

Everything, a lot of signals  seem to be indicative of Gideon being the one in control of the body - although it is not affirmed.
I can't say how I rate him. He doesn't seem to be that wicked and dangerous so he have to be exiled. I think there might be another reason why he has to rest in the desert.
He also tries to some kind of play off Andrew againt his father. Why does he want to break Aaron's secrets? Is it, because he wants to be in control of the body again?
And what is the big plan about?

Zitat von: Saltanah
The most interesting part in this book is the third door. The door everybody knows about ("there are three doors") but nobody thinks about. Most probably it is a door to Aarons sub-conscious and Andrew, when investigating the basement is going to find some secrets there, things Aaron can not even think about. It will be very interesting to see, what that is.

Yes, is is really intersting. Will Andrew and his father open the door? What will they find there? While reading I thought about the possibility that there are more souls which neither Andrew nor Aaron know. But your idea sound interesting, too.
I think I have to go on reading and find out...  ;)
« Letzte Änderung: 12. Mai 2007, 17:15:33 von Amneris »
Ein Buch ist ein Garten, den man in der Tasche trägt.

Offline stefanie_j_h

• Mitglied
  • Literaturschaf
    • Das Schaf liest
« Antwort #8 am: 15. Mai 2007, 18:37:39 »
I was really amused by the first scene in this book  :D Andy in a dinosaur playground... How did he get there?
I was glad that I got an answer to that question! Penny did a great job to follow Andy all the way. She's really brave.
Penny is starting to cooperate with the other members of her society. That's a big step for her and I think she couldn't have followed Andy, if she'd tried it on her own without the others.
But I'm still not sure, who the souls are. Who is that Xavier guy, where did he come from? Can Gideon create new souls as well? And is the bad guy really Gideon? We can only guess that.
Andrew's visit inside the head reveals lots of news and questions! It confused me that Aaron was not angry at all, he seems to not care at all! What happened to the house and where are the others? Lost in the fog?
And then the visit to Gideon's island. Gideon tries to confuse Andrew and maybe make him hate Aaron? It was a surprise that Aaron wasn't to create Andrew, but lead the body himself! Maybe that is the reason why Aaron didn't want to talk to Dr. Grey? Because he disobeyed her?
I can't wait to read what's behind that 3rd door in the house! Maybe there's a basement where we will get to know more about Andy Gage's past?? It's really strange, though, that nobody realized the door before. How can they not realize that the frontdoor plus the backdoor doesn't make 3?
~~better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not~~

http://www.literaturschaf.de

Offline Wendy

• Mitglied
  • Literatech
« Antwort #9 am: 15. Mai 2007, 20:07:04 »
There are three doors - back door and front door. This is certainly the most interesting thing now. Even Aaron seems to have forgotten that this equation doesn't make sense and that there is indeed a third door. I can't wait to find out what's behind it... even though I'm pretty sure it won't be a happy sight.
We still don't know what has happened to Andy Gage to make his souls split up in the first place and I have a feeling that this is what we might find behind the basement door.

Penny is making progress. I am so happy for her. I'm still not a big fan of Maledicta and Malefica but at least Penny has come to terms with them and realises that she will have to live with them one way or another - so might as well cooperate. And there you go - it's working for the most part.

Now Gideon is not at all what I expected. He immediately grew on me. His fear of sharp things is another hint as to what may have happened in Andy Gage's childhood. Maybe the stepfather abused him with a knife? Or maybe that would be too obvious and the stepfather had just as twisted an imagination as Penny's mother - I am still not over the cruelty that went on there!
But Gideon seems to be a much more aware soul than the others. Him being the only one who really knows that there is a third door and probably also what is behind it surprised me. He also seems to know a lot of other things like Aaron's "masterplan"... he's definitely the soul I am most interested in getting to know. As to his evilness - I don't think he is, I think he is deeply troubled because of whatever it is that happened to Andy Gage.

Now Xavier... I have no idea whatsoever who he could be or why his last name is Reyes. Strange.
Ferrets are awesome. They are what would happen if mad scientists gave socks brains.

Offline Matt Ruff

• Autor/in
  • Mitglied
    • Matt Ruff's home page
« Antwort #10 am: 16. Mai 2007, 00:26:36 »
I just wanted to have an image, because I have never been to South Dakota, and I thought some of you others might be interested. Andrew's Strata can be seen clearly.

This reminds me of when I started writing about Andy and Penny's road trip. I'd never been to the Badlands, or to most of the other places along their route, so I spent a lot of time looking at photographs on the Internet, and worrying about whether I'd gotten the scenery just right...

Offline *Sternenstauner*

• Mitglied
    • libromanie - All you can read
« Antwort #11 am: 17. Mai 2007, 18:25:06 »
That was a really exciting road-trip!
@ mrs peachum
Thank you for the photos. The landscape looks very impressing, but also kind of dreary.

What about that scene with the trooper? Strange wasn't it? Why is Gideon so terrified of the police? It still could be that he might have killed the stepfather. Is that the reason?
First I thought that he was so terrified of the trooper because he was afraid he could be stopped on his way, but on second thought, you may be right and there's another reason...

I'm happy for Mouse that she's making good progress with her souls. She learns to live and cooperate with them, although that's a quite difficult task when you think of Maledicta's drinking-habits e.g. She's really brave and it's kind of her to help Andrew.

I did not know what to make of the scene in the bar with Julie. What was that there for, except to show how stubborn and obnoxious Maledicta is? Maybe we will find out later.
That's a good question. Maybe it's important, because now Julie knows where Mouse is going (and where Andrew is).

The existence of the third door is really interesting. Why is Gideon the only one who seemed to know about it? What's behind it? And, most of all, what does Gideon know about Aaron's "masterplan" what Andrew doesn't know? Many interesting questions...

« Letzte Änderung: 17. Mai 2007, 18:27:11 von *Sternenstauner* »

Offline adia

• Mitglied
« Antwort #12 am: 18. Mai 2007, 20:19:17 »
Zitat von: mrs peachum
He thinks he is the true Andy, and later when Andrew goes inside the body we find out that his soul looks most like Andy (the body). What do you others think about that? Are Andrew and Aaron wrongly suppressing the "real Andy" because they do not want to get in trouble? If Gideon really created Xavier he does have powers no other soul besides Aaron has. I have to think about that some more....

Maybe he is the second most powerful soul after Aaron. It's true that no one except Aaron ever has created another soul, but then, in comparison to Andrew, Xavier doesn't seem to be as perfect...

I'm picturing them as clay ashtrays right now, Xavier having been made by a much younger kid.... ;D
I think it was John Lennon who said: "Life is what happens when you're making other plans", and that's how I feel.
Although he also said: "I am the Walrus I am the eggman" so I don't know what to believe.

Offline Matt Ruff

• Autor/in
  • Mitglied
    • Matt Ruff's home page
« Antwort #13 am: 20. Mai 2007, 16:05:49 »
I'm picturing them as clay ashtrays right now, Xavier having been made by a much younger kid.... ;D

That's a good analogy, actually...

Offline Ingroscha

• Mitglied
« Antwort #14 am: 21. Mai 2007, 19:28:29 »
Finished book 7 yesterday and started to read book 8. Just some thoughts - I'm in hurry today...

I'm also very curious about what's behind the third door, the door under the stairs. Might Gideon be able to create souls like Andrew's father did? Did he create Xavier? Is this third door something like the sea where new souls are born? Souls that aren't created "consciously" like Andrew was "made"? Did Gideon release Xavier from the basement? So many questions and not a lot of pages left. I'll return to that pages this night...
Liebe Grüße
Ingroscha